Solitary Bee Art Contest
The Solitary Bee Art Contest is now closed. Thank you to all that participated and helped to spread the word! To view artwork submissions, click here.
Did you know that most of the world's 20,000 bee species are solitary? That means that they live alone without a colony or hive. So in a sense, solitary bees practice social distancing just like us!
To continue our mission of providing dune education during these tumultuous times, we’ve created an educational art contest originally geared towards kids Pre-K through 8th Grade.
By popular demand, we've extended the art contest to include kids and adults of all ages throughout the United States. See below for details.
SUBMIT ART BY APRIL 30th, 2020.
How to Enter
2. Watch the 1:39 minute video on bees.
3. Create an image of a bee with a native dune plant. Include a fact about solitary bees on or with your art. See gallery at the bottom of this page for inspiration.
4. Scan or take a clear photo of your artwork and email it to email@example.com with the subject line "Solitary Bee Art Contest Submission" by April 30th. In the email, include your name, age and grade if applicable, and contact information.
Contest Rules and Details:
1. One entry per person.
2. Color is preferred.
3. Size must be 8.5 x 11 inches.
4. Participants may use any medium, including paint, colored pencil, collage, mosaic, or nature materials found in your yard.
How Winners Will be Chosen:
1. A first and second place winner will be chosen from each age category.
2. Art includes a bee, native dune plant, and a fact about bees.
1. Pre-K - Kindergarten
2. 1st-3rd Grade
3. 4th-6th Grade
4. 7th-8th Grade
5. 9th-12 Grade
But are there prizes?
You bet! There will be first and second place winners chosen in each age category.
First place winners in the Pre K - 12th grade age category will receive a Friends of the Dunes family membership, a Northern California Beach and Dune Pocket Guide, Friends of the Dunes stickers, and a bug box.
Second place winners in the Pre K - 12th grade age category will receive a Friends of the Dunes family membership, Friends of the Dunes Stickers, and a bug box.
First place price for adults will include a Friends of the Dunes family membership, a bug box, and a signed copy of Insects of the Pacific Northwest by Peter and Judy Haggard.
Second place prize for adults will include a Friends of the Dunes family membership, a Northern California Beach and Dune Pocket Guide, and a bug box.
All artwork will be featured on our website and on social media.
For details on what is included in a membership, follow this link.
Pre K -12th grade first place prize, plus family membership.
Adult first place prize, plus family membership.
Pre K-12th grade second place prize, plus family membership.
Adult second place prize, plus family membership.
Bee on Beach Pea
Footsteps of Spring
Yellow Sand Vebena
Silver Bee on a Wallflower
Woolcarder Bee on Beach Buckwheat.
Bee on Beach Morning Glory